Step Away From The Scale!

I made a huge mistake last week. I stepped on the scale.

There are many individuals who depend on the number of the scale when they are trying to lose weight or tone up. There are programs that depend solely on weekly weigh-ins. There are apps that ask for users to input their weight every single day. None of these options are incorrect, but they don’t work for me. And this is why…

I work hard breaking a sweat every single day. I lift heavy weights, and run on a quick incline on a treadmill. I feel the best I have in years. My clothes fit well, I can see muscles that I have never seen before, and my skills are only increasing. So, why am I feel self-conscious? Because I stepped on the scale last week.

Last week, I saw a number on the scale that I have never seen before. I was shocked and instantly wanted to cry. Why have I been working incredibly hard only to gain weight? The answer lies in the good ol’ saying that “muscle weighs more than fat”. I have been gaining muscle and losing body fat, which ultimately increases my body weight.

The way I reacted to this number was irrational. I know that I am the fittest I have ever been, but I was letting a silly number undermine all the work that I had done. I sincerely hope you take my advice, which is to step off the scale. The scale will only confuse you or cause you to judge your progress, or even worse, your body.

Since you’re leaving the scale in the dust, there are other ways to stay accountable on your fitness journey. Rely on how your favorite pair of jeans feel. Pay attention to how easily your blouse buttons up. Monitor how your body feels while running, squatting, or doing other exercise. These benchmarks are much healthier for your body and mind. It is imperative that you are kind to yourself.

Are you ready to start on your strength-training journey today? Get started in your very own living room! 




Comments

  1. For someone who has been there, this is great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately for me at the moment I use my scale once a week (sometimes twice). I have a specific goal I am trying to reach. Right now I am working on fat burning to lose weight. I am a type 2 diabetic and my goal this year is to get off the insulin. I can only do this by losing body fat, so the scale is my Tuesday morning bff (unless I gain then it is my worst enemy)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts