Kale AND Cupcakes

In high school, we had off-campus lunch, which meant that I had the freedom to go eat wherever a 15-minute drive could take me. This also meant that I frequently hit up McDonald's, especially when it was Monopoly season! A Big Mac and fries was a common lunch order, and I didn't think twice about the calories and fat that I was consuming.  Also, I could eat a whole jar of salsa in one sitting like it was my job. And it wasn't uncommon for me to frequently make myself homemade quesadillas in the microwave before bed. This was not "balance". 

Last summer, I participated in the Life Time Fitness 60 Day Challenge. The goal was to lose the highest percentage of body fat among the competitors. My life hit this perfect storm, where I had no classes for school and my husband was out of town for work for the entirety of the challenge. I had no distractions, and I could workout as much as I wanted. In addition to taking every workout class imaginable, I was tracking every piece of food that I put into my mouth. A handful of popcorn? I logged it. A couple M&Ms? Logged. Every ingredient in a chopped salad? Logged. I was obsessed with food, supplements, and exercise. This was not "balance". 

Before and after the Life Time 60 Day Challenge. Summer 2016. 

So, what did I learn? I took away that I can eat a piece (or two, or three) of dark chocolate when I crave it. I can get home from work and eat some chips and salsa with guilt-free glee. If I don't feel like going to a fitness class because I am too tired, I can take a nap and skip class. If I want a little taste of a high-calorie treat, I do it, because it won't sabotage me. Balance ensures that your hard work is sustainable. Balance ensures that all elements of your life are in check. Balance leads to the happiest and most giving version of you. 

My advice to you is...eat your kale and some cupcakes. You'll be a better person for it...and you'll still look great.



Comments

  1. I love the kale and cupcakes balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It is the only way I have found to stay sane.

      Delete
  2. Girl, your before and after pictures rock! But I certainly can understand the need for balance. I tend to go all out with dieting and then fall completely apart and binge on junk...I'm still working on my balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, thank you! Balance is something that I will never master, but as long as I am actively thinking of it, I am happy.

      Delete
  3. your results are seriously amazing! I know that it can be so hard to stay focused on dieting and flexible dieting is so important for our sanity! I noticed shortly after 21 that eating whatever you want does not exist anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it crazy how food cravings shift? The brain is so amazing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts